This years festival takes place 9/7/12-9/9/12 at the William Way Center in Philadelphia, PA.
$20.00 All Festival Pass (except MixTape)
$10.00 Day Pass (except MixTape)
$100.00 Group Pass (6+ people, except MixTape).
Gender Reel is an annual event dedicated to enhancing the visibility of gender non-conforming, gender variant/queer and transgender identities. As a festival, our goal is to empower artists, filmmakers, and photographers to continue creating works that is reflective of gender non- conforming experiences and identities. To do this, we provide an accessible and embracing multi-media platform where this work can be displayed.
2012 Festival Highlights include:
- Friday, 9/7 Opening Wine & Cheese Opening Reception @ 6 pm. Free to anyone who wants to attend.
- Friday, 9/7 @ 7:30 PM: Discussion and performance by notable guest and performance artist,Ignacio Rivera, from NYC.
- 50 day collaboration of art between Gender Reel and the William Way Community Center’s LGBTQ Art Gallery. This collaboration runs from 9/7/12- 10/26/12.
- Saturday, 9/9 @ 11 AM: The Painted Self: The return of last year’s heavily attended water color workshop facilitated by Gender Reel’s very own Sam Richman.
- Saturday, 9/8 @ 3 PM: The Final Cut: This panel explores how mainstream portrayals of people of color in film and television impact the lives of queer people of color.
- Saturday, 9/8 @ 4:30 PM: TransHISTORY: This workshop explores the history of transgender people in film.
- Saturday, 9/8 @ 9 PM: MixTape, Gender Reel’s surgery fundraising party, returns as a collaborative effort with the organizers of BLITZ. Location: Tabu Lounge & Sports Bar. Cover: $5-$10.
- Sunday, 9/9 @ 4 PM: Panel Discussion with the filmmaker of “Trans,” the 2012 award winning documentary.
Other films to see: Facing Mirrors; Trans, America’s Most Wanted; Gold Moon, Sharp Arrow, Makes Me Want to Believe, Present Continuous, Transpass, A Difference, Austin Unbound, I Am Queen, The Sisterhood, Bye, Bye Baby Box, Transsexual Dominatrix, I am Trans, Sisterhood, Akin, Against the Grain, Gloucerter City, My Town, Taki Mam, Glen or Glenda.
Other artists & performers to catch: Bo Luengsuraswat, Jaden Rogers, Josephine Yuonne Paulovic, Markus Harwood-Jones, Takeya Trayer, Krissy Mahan, Sarah Barnard, Chance DeSilvah, Ignacio Rivera, Qian Li, Gender Edge, Justin Deforest and Radium Angels.
2012 Gender Reel Sponsors: Leeway Foundation, Christin McGinn, Safeguards, Kathy Rumor & Galaei.
Youth Scholarships: Thanks to a generous sponsorship by the Leeway Foundation, Gender Reel is giving away 15 all-festival scholarship passes to LGBTQ youth (16-23 years of age). Individuals interested in obtaining a scholarship should contact Joe @ email@example.com. and indicate why a scholarship like this would benefit you as a person.
To find out more about Gender Reel’s 2012 programming, vending options (limited spots available until 8/15), ticket prices and more please consult our website @ www.genderreelfest.com.